Wednesday, May 28, 2014

We're back and safe--oh, maybe not

The First Book of Nephi


Chapter 5


My brothers and I returned home as soon as we could, and we were welcomed by our mother and father. They told us of how they had been arguing about my father sending us out to surely be killed. Lehi did comfort my mother though, and it was so good to be home.

We showed Father the Brass Plates, and he read them, and he told us about how they contained words of God through the prophets and a geneaology of our family and a set of commadments. We learned that we were of Joseph's lineage, who was sold into slavery into Egypt and saved all of Egypt.

Chapter 6

I'm not going to give you a full family history, but it's enough for me to say that we're descendants of Joseph. I don't have enough room on the plates that I'm writing on to copy down all of our family history.

My purpose is to bring others unto God.

Chapter 7

Jerusalem
After my father finished reading the plates, he told us to go back to Jerusalem. The Lord had told him that it wasn't good for our family to go into the wilderness alone.

And so we went and did as we were commanded, but this time, it was somewhat easier.

We went to the house of Ishmael, and we told him the words of the Lord, and the Lord softened his heart, and he took his family and followed us into the wilderness.

Unfortunately, on the way back, Laman, Lemuel, two of Ishmael's daughters, and two of his sons and his sons' families, rebelled against us, myself, Sam, Ishmael, his wife, and his 3 remaining daughters. They wanted to return to Jerusalem.

I tried to get them to continue back with us and tried to remind them of the miracles they had already seen, of the angel and getting the plates, and of how we knew that God would bless us if we followed His commandments.

They would not listen, and they tied me up,so that they would be left to return to Jerusalem. I prayed that I would have the strength to break the cords I was tied up with, and my faith was enough that they were loosened enough that I could get free.

When my brothers saw that I was untied, they were furious! They couldn't stand that I would prevent them from returning to Jerusalem, and they tried to kill me.

One of Ishmael's daughters stepped in, pleading to them for me not to kill me. Her mother and a brother stepped in to help, and they calmed down enough to spare my life.

After we talked, and I forgave them for what had happened, we returned to my father, and my parents rejoiced that we were all safe.

To read the real stories, Chapter 5, Chapter 6, and Chapter 7

No comments:

Post a Comment